What can I learn to fly?

We teach people to fly both fixed wing and flexwing microlights.

What licence will I get?

Our students work towards a National Private Pilot’s Licence with a microlight rating (NPPL(M)).

What will I have to do?

Training is conducted according to Microlight Aircraft Association (BMAA) requirements.

You will have to do enough flight training to learn to fly the aircraft safely and competently, but also:

  • Navigation training, culminating in one or two solo trips to another airfield (and back).
  • Five theory tests: Air Law, Microlight Technical, Meteorology, Navigation, and Human Factors.
  • Pass a General Skills Test (GST) with an examiner.

More information regarding what is required to gain a pilot’s licence is available on the BMAA website.

How long will it take?

The minimum number of hours to gain an unrestricted licence is 25. However, most people take longer. The number of hours depends on natural aptitude, frequency of lessons, previous flying experience and, most importantly, age.

I don’t know anything about aeroplanes – is this a problem?

No. We will teach you what you need to know in order to stay safe and look after your own aircraft.

I didn’t do well at school – will I be able to pass the theory tests?

Almost certainly. They are tests of what you need to know to fly and look after a microlight, so you do need to learn complicated technical information. The tests themselves are multiple choice or short-answer questions: you will not need to write much.

We run ground school classes over winter, to teach people what they need to know. If you have any specific concerns, you can contact us to discuss them.